Sleep Apnea Treatment From Your Dentist in Edmonton
Do you suffer from sleep apnea? You’re not alone! Millions of Canadians experience this sleep disorder, which can cause chronic daytime fatigue, headaches, and more. Thankfully, there are a number of treatment options that can help, including oral appliances, which we’re proud to offer our patients at Yellowbird Dental in Edmonton and its neighboring areas, including Twin Brooks, Blue Quill, Sweet Grass, Ermineskin, and Steinhauer.
What causes sleep apnea?
There are three types of sleep apnea: obstructive, central, and mixed. Obstructive sleep apnea (the most common type) is caused when the muscles in the back of your throat relax and block your airway. Central sleep apnea occurs when your brain doesn’t send proper signals to the muscles that control your breathing. Mixed sleep apnea is a combination of the two.
How can a dentist help treat sleep apnea?
At Yellowbird Dental, we are proud to offer oral appliance therapy as a treatment for mild to moderate cases of obstructive sleep apnea. Our custom-fitted oral appliances are small devices patients wear while sleeping and they work by holding the tongue and jaw in a forward position, which prevents relaxed muscles from blocking the patient’s airway.
What are the benefits of oral appliance therapy?
There are a number of advantages, including:
- It’s custom-fitted to your mouth and won’t interfere with your sleep.
- It’s easy to care for and doesn’t require any special maintenance.
- It can be an effective treatment for mild to moderate cases of sleep apnea.
- It’s small and portable, so you can take it with you when you travel.
Wondering if an oral device might help you achieve restful sleep? Call our friendly team today to arrange a consultation!
Contact Yellowbird Dental About Sleep Apnea Treatment Today
- Have your symptoms thoroughly examined by our expert team
- Utilize a dental appliance to improve symptoms associated with OSA
- Reduce daytime sleepiness and headaches
- Experience more restful sleep
- Prioritize your oral and overall health!