Preventive Dentistry: Let’s Master It Together!
At Yellowbird Dental in Edmonton, we know that preventive dental care is not only vital for maintaining the health of your teeth and gums in the short and long term, but also for reducing your risk of developing several systemic health conditions, as well.
To achieve optimal oral health, it's important that you receive regular professional preventive dentistry treatments and procedures from qualified dental experts. Preventive care includes:
- Regular checkups and teeth cleanings. These involve a thorough examination of your teeth, gums, and mouth, followed by a professional cleaning.
- X-rays. These may be taken to check for decay, tumors, cysts, and other conditions that cannot be seen during a regular examination.
- A sealant is a clear or shaded plastic coating that is applied to the chewing surfaces of the back teeth (premolars and molars) — the teeth most susceptible to decay.
- Fluoride treatments. A fluoride gel, foam, or varnish is applied to the teeth to help prevent decay.
- Sports mouthguards and nightguards. Wearing a mouthguard when playing impact sports (hockey, basketball, in-line skating, football, soccer, etc.) can minimize your risk of sport-related dental injuries, while wearing a nightguard can help prevent tooth chips, cracks, and wear caused by bruxism (teeth grinding and clenching).
What are some of the benefits associated with receiving preventive dental care?
While there are many, here are some of the most significant:
- Tooth decay and cavities are more likely to be caught early on before they become more serious problems that require more invasive and expensive treatments.
- You’re more likely to be able to prevent gum disease, which is the leading cause of tooth loss in adults.
- You’re more likely to develop and maintain good oral hygiene habits that will help you avoid dental issues.
What preventive steps can be taken on a daily basis to prioritize and protect your smile?
- Brush twice and floss once each day. By doing this, you can remove plaque and bacteria that can cause tooth decay and gum disease.
- Eat a healthy diet. A diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains can help keep your teeth and gums healthy. Avoid sugary foods and drinks, which can contribute to tooth decay.
- Use fluoride toothpaste. Fluoride can help prevent tooth decay by making your teeth more resistant to acid attacks. It is found in many dental products, including toothpaste and mouthwashes.
Interested in learning more about how you can protect your smile with preventive care? Call our friendly team today!
Contact Yellowbird Dental About Preventive Dental Care Today
- Receive the diligent care you need to prevent larger dental issues
- Benefit from effective, patient-centric treatments and procedures
- Build a trusting relationship with our caring team
- Learn how to optimize and maintain your smile
- Prioritize your oral health!