Oral Cancer Warning Signs You Need To Know
A type of cancer that affects the tissues of the mouth, including the lips, gums, tongue, and roof or floor of the mouth, approximately 3,000 Canadians are diagnosed with oral cancer each year.
Early intervention is key to successful treatment and long-term prognosis, which is why it's so important to be aware of the symptoms and causes of oral cancer and to visit Yellowbird Dental in Edmonton regularly for preventive checkups.
Which symptoms are associated with oral cancer?
Symptoms can include:
- a sore or irritation that does not go away
- bleeding in the mouth
- pain in the mouth or jaw
- numbness in the mouth or jaw
- a lump or mass in the mouth or jaw
- changes in speech or trouble swallowing
- changes in the way your teeth fit together when you bite.
While it's important to note that these symptoms can also be caused by other, less serious conditions, if you're experiencing any of the above, it's important to see us to receive a proper diagnosis and rule out oral cancer.
What causes oral cancer to develop?
While the exact cause of oral cancer is unknown, there are certain risk factors that have been identified that may play a role. These include:
- excessive exposure to UV radiation from the sun or tanning beds
- tobacco use, including cigarettes, cigars, pipes, and chewing tobacco
- alcohol consumption
- a family history of cancer.
Why are preventive oral checks so important?
Regular preventive oral checks give us the opportunity to examine your mouth for any changes or abnormalities, and to catch any potential problems early on. These checks are quick and painless and can help you keep your mouth healthy and strong for years to come.
At Yellowbird Dental clinic, oral cancer screenings are an important part of our treatment protocol. Our primary goal is to assist you in attaining and maintaining excellent oral health. Don't hesitate to reach out to us at 587-855-7068, and we eagerly welcome new patients from the Edmonton area and its neighboring areas, including Twin Brooks, Blue Quill, Sweet Grass, Ermineskin, and Steinhauer.
Contact Yellowbird Dental About Oral Cancer Screenings Today
- Have any unusual oral developments assessed quickly
- Learn which symptoms to watch for
- Increase your chances of successful treatment if oral cancer is discovered
- Understand which risk factors increase your likelihood of developing oral cancer
- Prioritize your oral health!