6 Best Practices For Good Oral Hygiene Care
If you're like most people, you probably brush and floss every day. But even with the best at-home dental care, at Yellowbird Dental in Edmonton, we know that it's still vital to see dental experts for regular professional cleanings to keep your teeth, gums, and jaw in optimal health.
Here's what to expect during a professional cleaning visit:
- We'll thoroughly examine your smile. This includes a check for any signs of tooth decay, gum disease, or other problems. We'll also take X-rays, if needed.
- We'll clean your teeth. Using a small mirror to look at all surfaces of your teeth, we may also use a tool called a probe to check for any areas where your gums may have pulled away from your teeth (called recession). Next, we'll use special tools to remove plaque and tartar (hardened plaque) that brushing and flossing can't remove. Finally, we'll floss your teeth and polish them with a special spinning brush.
- We'll discuss our findings with you. Should there be any areas of concern, we'll talk with you about what needs to be done and develop a plan to get your smile back on track.
Why are professional cleanings so important?
More than a way to keep your smile looking and feeling great, regular cleanings can also:
- Help prevent gum disease. By removing tartar, professional cleanings can help reduce your risk of gingivitis (early gum disease) and periodontitis (advanced gum disease), which can lead to tooth loss.
- Help prevent cavities. Plaque that isn't removed can harden into tartar, which can lead to cavities.
- Help you keep your teeth as you age. Regular professional cleanings can help keep your mouth healthy as you get older.
- Give us a chance to catch problems early. During a professional cleaning, we can check for signs of trouble and provide treatment before problems get worse.
If it's been a while since your last professional teeth cleaning, or if you have any concerns about your oral health, call our friendly team today to schedule an appointment!
Contact Yellowbird Dental About Professional Cleanings Today
- Receive the diligent oral healthcare you need to keep your smile strong
- Have any existing issues treated ASAP
- Prevent dental issues in the short and long term
- Learn how to optimize your at-home dental hygiene routine
- Prioritize your oral health!