Your Dentist In Edmonton Will Help You Relax With Nitrous Oxide
Many of our dental patients experience mild to severe fear or anxiety about dental care. Whether it’s from a past experience or from no explainable reason at all, it keeps patients from getting the care they need and want to stay healthy – in both oral and overall health. If it prevents you from seeing us at Yellowbird Dental, we can help – with nitrous oxide!
Does your heart race when you think about “going to the dentist”? How about when you lie down in our chair? What about fear, apprehension, or embarrassment? If so, you are definitely in good company.
Through sedation, we have helped hundreds of patients gain control of their fear – and we can help you too! Relax and gain a sense of well-being with nitrous oxide. You may know it as laughing gas and it is one of the safest forms of sedation available. Nearly everyone can use this mild, fast-acting, non-allergenic gas.
Nitrous oxide sedation is also called “conscious sedation,” because it does not make you sleep or block your memory. Instead, it will quickly relax you while we do our work. You will have full control, be awake, and you’ll have no difficulty responding to us.
Administering laughing gas is easy and comfortable too! You’ll wear a light mask over your nose that provides the Nitrous oxide. You’ll notice the calming effect almost immediately. Patients has also reported feeling light-headed and euphoric. There may be tingling or a heaviness in your arms and legs. During your treatment, we’ll adjust the dosage to ensure your comfort.
Why is Nitrous oxide also called laughing gas? Well … some people get a case of the giggles when they begin feeling the effects of the gas. Not to worry, we’ll smile along with you!
Is your child anxious about their dental visit? The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recognizes laughing gas as a safe and effective technique for minimizing children’s anxiety, helping to provide a pleasant experience while minimizing stress. Our professional team is trained to compassionately address the needs of fearful children and will stay at your child’s side at all times to support them and monitor their progress.
How long does Nitrous oxide sedation last? As long as you’re wearing the mask. Just before your appointment is finished, we will decrease the amount of laughing gas and increase the amount of oxygen. You’ll be “back to normal” before you leave our chair.
FAQs About Nitrous Oxide (N2O)
- In 1772, Nitrous oxide gas was identified or “discovered” by the English chemist Joseph Priestley.
- For years, Nitrous oxide was used for entertaining the public.
- Eventually, in 1884, it was recognized by a dentist for its analgesic effects, and news of the effective use of it spread throughout the dental profession.
- Nitrous oxide is also known as dinitrogen monoxide, laughing gas, or nitrous. You’ll likely hear us calling it laughing gas most often as it’s what most of our patients recognize.
- A colorless gas, Nitrous oxide has an agreeable quite faint odor and sweet taste.
- When administered, it’s always mixed with at least 30% oxygen.
- It takes about three or four minutes for it to take effect.
- About one-third of patients experience numbness in their cheeks and/or gums.
- Nitrous oxide is administered through a small “hood” that is placed over your nose. As you lie back and relax, all you do is breathe it in.
- When a dental patient breathes Nitrous oxide, their sensibility to pain is reduced.
- Some patients may experience euphoria.
- Some people react with mild excitement. Some patients giggle or laugh.
- For most people, laughing gas makes them feel relaxed and calm.
- Not to worry… Laughing gas doesn’t make you do or say anything that you wouldn’t normally want to do or say. Despite rumors, your secrets are safe!
- The effect of Nitrous oxide is brief.
- The effects of Nitrous oxide are 100% reversed even before you leave the dental chair. This is done by slowly decreasing the Nitrous oxide and increasing oxygen flow.
- You can drive yourself home from treatment when you’ve had laughing gas administered.
- You will not experience a “hangover effect.”
- It’s safe for all patients, including children.
- For over 150 years, Nitrous oxide has been used to alleviate dental anxiety and fears.
- It’s the most widely used gaseous anesthetic in the world.
- Even though many other medicines have been introduced since 1884, Nitrous oxide’s advantages outweigh many of them.
- If you’re fearful of getting the dental treatment you need and want, Nitrous oxide may be exactly what you need to relieve your anxiety.
If your dental appointments make you fearful, please take care of yourself by calling us at Yellowbird Dental at (587) 855-7068. As your dentist in Edmonton, we’ll welcome your questions about sedation that will provide you with the comfort you need to get the dental care you want.
Contact Yellowbird Dental About Nitrous Oxide Sedation Today
- Calm your dental fear or anxiety
- Experience effects quickly and safely
- Get the diligent oral healthcare you need
- Benefit from this form of sedation that’s safe for most patients
- Prioritize your oral health!